The ASSA has announced that the 2021 ASSA meeting will be held online — a VIRTUAL 2021 AEA/ASSA Annual Meeting. As the AFA is a part of the ASSA meetings, we will be joining the virtual meetings to be held on January 3 – 5, 2021.
Registration is required in order to participate in the Annual Meeting and can be found here: https://www.aeaweb.org/conference/.
On this page you will find information on the following:
- Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions
- AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations
- General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
- FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions
The Ph.D. Student Poster Session for the 2021 Annual Meeting will still occur in some capacity although these details are not yet set. If your poster has been accepted for the conference, you will receive further information when available.
AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations
The Travel Grant program has been suspended for this year although the AFA is considering hosting a panel event for Ph.D. students similar to that typically provided to the Travel Grant recipients. More information will be made available closer to the meetings.
General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
The paper submission site for the 2021 American Finance Association annual meeting is closed. Papers were submitted through Conference Maker before Monday, March 16 at 3:00pm EST.
There is no paper submission fee, but please note that (1) the submitting author must be an AFA member for the paper to be considered and (2) each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a coauthor on other submitted papers).
NOTE: AFA Membership status will be verified at the time of paper submission. You will need your AFA membership number to complete your submission. Therefore, please complete the following well in advance of the submission deadline:
- Log in to the AFA website. Sign in at the top right.
- Find your AFA membership number. After logging in to the AFA website, navigate to My Profile. Your AFA Membership Number is listed directly above your name. NOTE: If your membership indicates “Worldwide Directory of Finance Faculty” or has an expiration date of “NA”, you might not have an active AFA membership but are part of the Finance Faculty database. Please purchase a regular AFA membership or contact the Membership Services team for assistance (free memberships are available for students).
- Student memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your paper.
- Update your AFA profile. Please review and complete your AFA profile at this time.
Please contact the Membership Services team if you have any problems accessing the AFA website or your membership and profile information. If you have problems or questions related to paper submissions, please contact Annette Clark for assistance.
FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
The AFA Annual Meeting paper submission process will be hosted by Conference Maker. (The paper submission mechanics for AFA conferences are entirely separate from the Journal of Finance paper submission process).
Please include the name and email for each author on the paper that is submitted.
All papers must be accompanied by an abstract of at least 200 words, but no more than 600 words.
All papers must be submitted as PDF files.
Complete papers will be given preference, but extended abstracts of several pages may also be submitted.
Submitted papers should not have been accepted for publication.
The author submitting the paper to the Annual Meeting must be a member of the American Finance Association for the paper to be considered.
Each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a co-author on other submitted papers).
You can check that your paper was uploaded correctly by clicking on the “My Submissions” link in the navigation bar within Conference Maker.
To enable wider participation, please submit only one paper and do not submit the same paper to other associations that meet at the same time as the AFA/ASSA.
Last revised: September 26, 2020