The AFA 2024 Annual Meeting will be held January 5-7, 2024 (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) in San Antonio, Texas.
On this page you will find information on the following:
- General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
- AFA PhD Student Poster Session
- FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
The paper submission site for the 2024 American Finance Association Annual Meeting is now closed. The deadline to submit a paper was 3:00pm EST on Wednesday, March 15. Decisions will be sent to the submitting author by May 31.
NEW THIS YEAR: Papers are now submitted through the AFA website. While there is no paper submission fee, please note that (1) the submitting author must be an AFA member for the paper to be considered and (2) each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a coauthor on other submitted papers).
NOTE: You will need to log in to the AFA Membership website in order to submit a paper. Therefore, please complete the following well in advance of the submission deadline:
- Log in to the AFA website. Sign in at the top right.
- Confirm your AFA membership status. After logging in to the AFA website, navigate to My Profile. Your membership type will be listed directly below your name. NOTE: If your membership indicates “Worldwide Directory of Finance Faculty” or has an expiration date of “NA”, you might not have an active AFA membership but are part of the Finance Faculty database. Please purchase a regular AFA membership or contact the Membership Services team for assistance.
- Students may obtain free memberships, but these memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your paper.
- Update your AFA profile. Please review and complete your AFA profile at this time.
Please contact the Membership Services team if you have any problems accessing your membership or profile information. If you have problems or questions related to paper submissions, please contact Annette Clark for assistance.
AFA PhD Student Poster Session
Submissions for the Poster Session will occur after decisions have been made on the regular program and typically open in mid-June. Students may submit their paper for consideration for the Regular Program, and if the paper is not accepted, they may resubmit the paper for consideration in the PhD Student Poster Session.
Poster submissions are invited on all topics in finance and may describe research projects, results of work in progress, presentation of data, or recently completed work. The student/submitter must be a member of the Association (student online memberships are available free at www.afajof.org). Submissions can be made for the Poster Session through the Conference Maker website in early summer. Submissions should include your poster title and abstract as well as a draft of your poster or paper on which the poster would be based. The posters will be displayed in a public area of the AFA hotel and authors will be asked to be present at their posters for specific times during the conference.
FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
The AFA Annual Meeting paper submission process is entirely separate from the Journal of Finance paper submission process.
Please include the name and email for each author on the paper that is submitted.
All papers must be accompanied by an abstract of at least 200 words, but no more than 1,000 words.
All papers must be submitted as PDF files.
Complete papers will be given preference, but extended abstracts of several pages may also be submitted.
Submitted papers should not have been accepted for publication.
The author submitting the paper to the Annual Meeting must be a member of the American Finance Association for the paper to be considered.
Each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a co-author on other submitted papers).
To enable wider participation, please submit only one paper and do not submit the same paper to other associations that meet at the same time as the AFA/ASSA.
NOTE: Papers may only be presented once during the ASSA meetings – authors of papers accepted for presentation by more than one association will need to select one session in which to present their paper and withdraw the paper from other sessions.
Last revised: March 16, 2023