The AFA 2021 Annual Meeting will be held January 3-5, 2021 (Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday) in Chicago, Illinois.
On this page you will find information on the following:
- General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
- Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions
- AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations
- FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
The paper submission site for the 2021 American Finance Association annual meeting will open in mid-February. Please watch this page for updates.
There is no paper submission fee, but please note that (1) the submitting author must be an AFA member for the paper to be considered and (2) each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a coauthor on other submitted papers).
NOTE: AFA Membership status will be verified at the time of paper submission. You will need your AFA membership number to complete your submission. Therefore, please complete the following well in advance of the submission deadline:
- Log in to the AFA website. Sign in at the top right.
- Find your AFA membership number. After logging in to the AFA website, navigate to My Profile. Your AFA Membership Number is listed directly above your name. NOTE: If your membership indicates “Worldwide Directory of Finance Faculty” or has an expiration date of “NA”, you might not have a paid AFA membership but are part of the Finance Faculty database. Please purchase a regular AFA membership or contact the Membership Services team for assistance.
- Update your AFA profile. Please review and complete your AFA profile at this time.
- Student memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your paper.
Please contact the Membership Services team if you have any problems accessing the AFA website or your membership and profile information. If you have problems or questions related to paper submissions, please contact Annette Clark for assistance.
Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions – Will open in June 2020
The submission website will open in June. Please watch this page for updates.
- Any Ph.D. student may submit one paper (poster) to be considered for the AFA Ph.D. Student Poster Session.
- Ph.D. students may resubmit papers that were not accepted for the regular program to be considered for the Ph.D. Student Poster Session.
- Submissions should include your poster title and abstract as well as a draft of your poster or paper on which the poster would be based.
- The student/submitter must be a member of the AFA (student online memberships are available free here. Note: Student memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your poster/paper.
- Poster submissions are invited on all topics in finance and may describe research projects, results of work in progress, presentation of data, or recently completed work. Guidelines for materials and layout of poster presentations will be available after presentations have been accepted.
- The posters will be displayed in a public area of the AFA hotel and authors will be asked to be present at their posters for specific times during the conference.
AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations – Will open in June 2020
This year the Association will again award Travel Grants to doctoral students to help defray the costs of attending the Annual Meeting.
- Any current AFA member in the U.S. or abroad is invited to nominate one Ph.D. student, whom he or she has taught or supervised, to be considered for this award. Students from schools with multiple applicants may receive reduced award amounts.
- Students DO NOT need to have a paper or poster on the program to receive a Travel Grant Award.
- The nominated student must be a member of the Association (student online memberships are available free here), must be beyond the first year in her or his doctoral studies in finance, financial economics, or a related field, and must not be on the job market during the academic year in which the grant is made. No student may participate in this grant program more than once.
- The students to receive travel grants will be selected and informed via email by August 31. Awards will be determined based on recommendations and the award amount will factor travel cost to the Annual Meeting from the student’s institution as well as the number of nominations from each school.
- Award checks will be delivered to the selected students at the annual meeting if a tax/address form is completed before the annual meeting or by mail subsequently if the form is completed at the annual meeting.
FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
The AFA Annual Meeting paper submission process will be hosted by Conference Maker. (The paper submission mechanics for AFA conferences are entirely separate from the Journal of Finance paper submission process).
Please include the name and email for each author on the paper that is submitted.
All papers must be accompanied by an abstract of at least 200 words, but no more than 600 words.
All papers must be submitted as PDF files.
Complete papers will be given preference, but extended abstracts of several pages may also be submitted.
Submitted papers should not have been accepted for publication.
The author submitting the paper to the Annual Meeting must be a member of the American Finance Association for the paper to be considered.
Each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a co-author on other submitted papers).
You can check that your paper was uploaded correctly by clicking on the “My Submissions” link in the navigation bar within Conference Maker.
To enable wider participation, please submit only one paper and do not submit the same paper to other associations that meet at the same time as the AFA/ASSA.
Last revised: January 20, 2020