The AFA 2020 Annual Meeting will be held January 3-5, 2020 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) in San Diego, California.
- AFA sessions will take place at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. ASSA Headquarters will be the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina.
- Registration and Housing will open on September 19th at 11:00 am EDT. Attendees must go through the official housing company to get the convention rates. Registration, housing and other meeting information is on the AEA website.
- View the ASSA Preliminary Program and the AFA Sessions and AFA Ph.D. Student Poster Session.
- NOTE: All decisions regarding Travel Grants and the Ph.D. Student Poster Session have been communicated via email. If you were nominated for a Travel Grant or made a submission to the Ph.D. Student Poster Session and did not receive an email, please contact us at email@example.com.
On this page you will find information on the following:
- Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions
- AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations
- General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
- FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions – CLOSED
NOTE: All decisions regarding the Ph.D. Student Poster Session have been communicated via email. If you did not receive an email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFA will again host a Ph.D. Student Poster Session as part of the 2020 Annual Meeting, which will be held in San Diego, California.
The submission website is now CLOSED. The submission deadline was July 31, 2019.
- Any Ph.D. student may submit one paper (poster) to be considered for the AFA Ph.D. Student Poster Session.
- Submissions should include your poster title and abstract as well as a draft of your poster or paper on which the poster would be based.
- The student/submitter must be a member of the AFA (student online memberships are available free here. Note: Student memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your poster/paper.
- Poster submissions are invited on all topics in finance and may describe research projects, results of work in progress, presentation of data, or recently completed work. Guidelines for materials and layout of poster presentations will be available after presentations have been accepted.
- The posters will be displayed in a public area of the AFA hotel and authors will be asked to be present at their posters for specific times during the conference.
AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations – CLOSED
NOTE: All decisions regarding Travel Grants have been communicated via email. If you did not receive an email, please contact us at email@example.com.
This year the Association will again award Travel Grants to doctoral students to help defray the costs of attending our 2020 Annual Meeting.
The deadline for nominations was July 31, 2019.
- Any current AFA member in the U.S. or abroad is invited to nominate one Ph.D. student, whom he or she has taught or supervised, to be considered for this award. Students from schools with multiple applicants may receive reduced award amounts.
- Students DO NOT need to have a paper or poster on the program to receive a Travel Grant Award.
- The nominated student must be a member of the Association (student online memberships are available free here), must be beyond the first year in her or his doctoral studies in finance, financial economics, or a related field, and must not be on the job market during the academic year in which the grant is made. No student may participate in this grant program more than once.
- The students to receive travel grants will be selected and informed by August 31, 2019. Awards will be determined based on recommendations and the award amount will factor travel cost to the Annual Meeting from the student’s institution as well as the number of nominations from each school.
- Award checks will be delivered to the selected students at the annual meeting if a tax/address form is completed before the annual meeting or by mail subsequently if the form is completed at the annual meeting.
General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
The paper submission site for the 2020 American Finance Association annual meeting is now closed.
The link to the Conference Maker website is here.
The submission deadline was 3:00 PM (EST) March 15, 2019. Decisions have been sent to the author who submits the paper.
There is no paper submission fee, but please note that (1) the submitting author must be an AFA member for the paper to be considered and (2) each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a coauthor on other submitted papers).
NOTE: AFA Membership status will be verified at the time of paper submission. You will need your AFA membership number to complete your submission. Therefore, please complete the following well in advance of the submission deadline:
- Log in to the AFA website. Sign in at the top right. If this is your first time signing in on the new site, you will be required to reset your password.
- Find your AFA membership number. After logging in to the AFA website, navigate to My Profile. Your AFA Membership Number is listed directly above your name.
- Update your AFA profile. Please review and complete your AFA profile at this time.
- Student memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your paper.
Please contact the Membership Services team if you have any problems accessing the AFA website or your membership and profile information. If you have problems or questions related to paper submissions, please contact Annette Clark for assistance.
FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
The AFA Annual Meeting paper submission process will be hosted by Conference Maker. (The paper submission mechanics for AFA conferences are entirely separate from the Journal of Finance paper submission process).
Please include the name and email for each author on the paper that is submitted.
All papers must be accompanied by an abstract of at least 200 words, but no more than 600 words.
All papers must be submitted as PDF files.
Complete papers will be given preference, but extended abstracts of several pages may also be submitted.
Submitted papers should not have been accepted for publication.
The author submitting the paper to the Annual Meeting must be a member of the American Finance Association for the paper to be considered.
Each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a co-author on other submitted papers).
You can check that your paper was uploaded correctly by clicking on the “My Submissions” link in the navigation bar within Conference Maker.
To enable wider participation, please submit only one paper and do not submit the same paper to other associations that meet at the same time as the AFA/ASSA.
Last revised: August 1, 2019