Upcoming Events

AFFECT/JFE call for funding proposals

Date: December 15, 2023

In collaboration with the Journal of Financial Economics, AFFECT is pleased to announce a second call for funding proposals for projects that involve collecting new data for research that aligns with AFFECT’s mission. We successfully completed the first call for proposals in 2022.

Grant recipients must agree to disseminate the data publicly on their websites within 12 months. Proposals will be accepted until December 15, 2023 and must include the following information:

  1. Applicant name, institution, and email address
  2. Applicant’s CV
  3. One paragraph description of the data to be collected
  4. One-page description of the research project that the data will support
  5. Detailed budget for data collection.  No indirect (overhead) costs are permitted.
  6. Timeline for data collection
  7. List of other funding sources already secured
  8. Amount of funding requested

We especially encourage proposals that advance AFFECT’s mission to collect more systematic data on the standing of women in finance and to raise awareness regarding the representation of women in seminar series, in conferences, and in applicant pools.

AFFECT will review all proposals and render funding decisions by the end of January 2024.  Generous support from the Journal of Financial Economics will allow funding for 3-5 proposals in amounts of between $10,000 and $30,000 each.  Indirect (overhead) costs are not permitted.

Funds are distributed in two parts.  75% is distributed at the time of the award decision.  The remaining 25% is distributed when the data are collected and posted publicly on the recipient’s website, as long as the posting occurs within 12 months of the first distribution of funds. If the data are used in a research paper, grant recipients agree to acknowledge financial support from the Elsevier finance portfolio and AFFECT.

To apply, email by December 15, 2023.  Please include “AFFECT/JFE Funding Proposal” in the subject line.

AFFECT is hosting a day-long mentoring workshop in conjunction with the 2024 AFA meetings

Date: January 4, 2024
Time: 8 AM -5 PM
Location: San Antonio, Texas

The event will include both breakout research sessions and panel discussions led by mentors. Twelve women, each of whom is a senior faculty member within finance, have generously offered to serve as mentors. The breakout sessions will be in small groups, organized by research area. The panel discussions will focus on issues such as publishing, effective teaching, and work/life balance. In addition, there will be two dinners, to give participants added opportunity to network.

AFA membership is required.

Recent Events

Opportunities in the Regulatory Sector and Policy Institutions Webinar

Date: November 16, 2023

We will discuss opportunities within this space, how one might pursue such opportunities, and the contrasts / similarities with academia.

Panelists include:

  • Tara Bhandari, U.S. Security Exchange Commission, Financial Economist
  • Dalida Kadyrzhanova, Federal Reserve Board, Principal Economist, Research and Statistics
  • Lori Walsh, FINRA, Vice President and Deputy Chief Economist

Moderated by:

  • Kathleen Hanley, Lehigh University Professor of Finance and Bolton-Perella Chair Executive Secretary and Treasurer, AFA

AFFECT New Ideas sessions over fall semester.

Date: September 22, 2023

These will be virtual events, with approximately four participants with similar research interests participating in each. Each session will last one hour, and during this time each participant will have the opportunity to present one new idea and to get feedback on that idea from other participants in the session. If you are interested in participating in a New Ideas Session, please click here. We will organize sessions based on interest.

Further details (including dates and research areas of each session) will be communicated to anybody that expresses interest. Deadline for expressing interest is Sept 22nd.

AFFECT Breakfast and Leibniz Institute for Financial Research SAFE Networking

Date: June 27, 2023
Location: San Francisco, CA

Vice Chair Kai Li will talk about AFFECT initiatives including AFFECT Mentorship events and funding opportunities at the 2023 Western Finance Association Meetings.

Session 6: AFFECT office hours with recently tenured women in finance

Date: April 11, 2023
Time: 1:00 PM EST
Location: Zoom

Leader: Anya Mkrtchyan

Managing co-authors

View archive of past AFFECT events.